Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Rainy Day Music

It is rainy and pouring in Atlanta, and today, while Red Phoenix was doing her best to stay on the road and not hydroplane (not one of her strong suits), I started thinking about some of the best rainy day songs. I for instance can't listen to a whole lot of fast-paced music in the rain, it makes me want to go too fast and I am a terrible driver already, I don't need the rains assistance with that.  So my songs were a nice mixture of slow and depressing (Jolene by Ray LaMontagne) and a couple mellow (Slip Sliding Away by Paul Simon & Beautiful Mess by Jason Mraz). Finally, I finished off with some good old cheese, none other than NKOTB singing Summertime.....twice....which brings me to my new addition to the awards...


Best "Once Famous Teen Sensations Clinging to Their Former Youth" Song:


Summertime by New Kids On The Block  - As usual, it's cheesy and terrible and I love it! I mean, would you really expect anything else from me? Yet, it still creeps me out that they are singing about some 17 year old girl they met on the beach supposedly in the summer a couple years ago, but I mean you can totally see them cruising the beach even today.


Best "I'm Too Old to Be Singing this Song and the Lyrics are Way Inappropriate" Song:


Give It To You by Jordan McKnight - Oh Jordan, this one definitely takes the cake. You weren't even the youngest guy in the band, and when you came out with this song in early 2000, it was like nothing had changed at all. But take it one step further and listen to the lyrics, "You say it's been too long, since you had some" or "It's creepin around in my head, Me holding you down in my bed, I can't wait to give you some, I'm convinced you need it." Ahhh!!! This song being sung to a bunch of teenage girls when you are 17, cute and sexy (ish), when you are approaching 40, whoa nelly! And to make matters worse, it is set at a carnival and has a creepy amusement theme jingle at the beginning. Well-played Jordan McKnight, well-played. 


So, what are some of your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment