Friday, June 24, 2011

Here Comes the Bride...

No, not me you fool. We have years to go and a considerable bucket list of items to accomplish before I walk down the aisle to wedded bliss, you know, keep a bamboo plant alive, go on a second date, travel to Greece to have a torrid love affair with a local fisherman, (scratch that last part, it was only attractive in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, I feel like the actual result would be far less desirable and far more smelly). Anywho, those of my dearest friends who are in such positions (being generally more responsible than I and actually gotten past the second date milestone) are either preparing for their celebrations or joining in on conversations about said planning. During one of these conversations last night, the two roomies gave me an excellent idea for a post. Wedding Music. Not Pachelbel or anything, but the reception songs. Fun ones to have your first dance to, with your dad, with your newly-coined spouse, to serenade to your twin ; ).

I love weddings actually. I may run from the bouquet toss likes it's laced with arsenic, but everything else about them makes me smile. I love to see the bride walk down the aisle, I love to see the Groom's face when he sees her, I love cake (boy do I), I love seeing all of your friends in one place, open bars, and the overall happiness that seems to be so contagious. But maybe most of all, on a personal level of course, I love the dancing. I dance like a crazed fool, well most places, but especially at weddings, and especially with a band (I have a weakness for live music and band parties, but those stories are for another time). So whether you are planning your nuptials or just need a good request for the 10 person band to dedicate to your friend, here are some of my wedding day favorites (Yes some of them have been done 100 times over, but they have been overdone for a reason, necessity):

First Dance (with Spouse):
I Will - The Beatles
Fools Rush In - Elvis
La Vie En Rose - Louis Armstrong
You Send Me - Sam Cooke
Crazy Love - Van Morrison
You Look Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
Cheek to Cheek - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
In My Life - The Beatles
Till There Was You - The Beatles
Can't Get Enough of Your Love - Barry White
Save The Last Dance for Me - The Drifters
When You Say Nothing At All
Don't Know Much About History - Sam Cooke
Whenever I See Your Smiling Face - James Taylor
At Last - Etta James
You Belong To Me - Dean Martin
Someone Like You - Van Morrison
You're Just Too Good To Be True - Frankie Valli
When I'm 64 - The Beatles
Our Love Is Here To Stay - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
Bewitched - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
Just One Look - Doris Troy *Thanks to Ben for the suggestion
The Luckiest - Ben Folds *Thanks to Lindsey

Dancing with the Parentals:
My Girl - The Temptations
What A Wonderful World - Ray Charles
The Way You Look Tonight - Frank Sinatra
You Are The Sunshine of My Life - Stevie Wonder
Have I Told You Lately (That I Love You) - Van Morrison
These Are The Days - Van Morrison
Just The Way You Are - Billy Joel
Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder
The Way You Do The Things You Do - The Temptations
Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison
Someone To Watch Over Me - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
Dream A Little Dream Of Me - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
Your Song - Elton John *Also thanks Lindsey, can't believe I forgot Elton!

The fun stuff for everyone to dance: I felt the need to divide this into two categories, the traditional or more normal ones, and the new rap songs that white people can two-step to.
Normal Fun: 
Build Me Up Buttercup - The Temptations
I Only Wanna Be With You
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
Groove Me - King Floyd
You Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate
P.Y.T. - Michael Jackson
Midnight Train to Georgia - Gladys Knight
Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams
The Twist - Chubby Checker
Twist & Shout - The Beatles
The Loco-Motion - Little Eva
Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show
This Old Heart of Mine - Isley Brothers
I Don't Wanna Lose Your Love - The Outfield
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Love Shack - B52s
Let's Stay Together - Al Green
I Want You Back - Jackson 5
Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
You Got It - Roy Orbison/Traveling Wilburys
Moondance - Van Morrison
*Note - As a general rule, you can never really go wrong with Motown*

We are too white to be taken seriously:
Ignition - R.Kelly
Hey Ya! - Outkast
Cupid Shuffle
Electric Slide

4 comments:

  1. May I also recommend....

    The Luckiest by Ben Folds (First Dance)
    Your Song by Elton John (Parentals Dance)

    ...just saying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose "Just One Look" by Doris Troy for our first dance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all excellent choices. I actually had Just One Look on the list I sent to Sarah and forgot to post it! Lindsey, I do love those as well, they definitely make the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to assume you included R. Kelley's "Ignition" on the 'too white to be taken seriously' list because of my wedding.

    p.s. i love this entry. a lot.

    ReplyDelete