Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My 17 Year-Old Self Just Had a Field Day...

Before the days of emo music (which let's be honest, I had/have my fair share of) and my current obsession with indie artists and their knack for insightful songwriting, just about the only thing in rotation on my Discman circa 2002, streaming strategically through my tape deck adapter of course (I was a little late on the cd player bandwagon...so sue me!), was some good ole punk music. Yes, this may surprise many of you considering the close attention I have paid to mandolins and harmonicas lately, but I thoroughly enjoy a good punk show. Aside from a brief period Freshman year when I convinced myself it was okay to wear Volcom shoes and pink camouflage tops (it wasn't), despite the fact that I couldn't stand on a skateboard for more than 20.5 seconds, I never really dressed the part. In fact, I often stood out like a preppy sore thumb at rowdy concerts where I would wiggle my way into the front of the mosh pit. Alas, my moshing days ended soon after I was kicked in the face at a Norma Jean concert, but there will always be a soft spot in my heart for the music that defined many of my high school years. 


So you can imagine my surprise and delight while perusing the ah-mazing concert series set up for this summer, when I came across what has to be a throwback trend towards old school punk. I mean classic, fast-paced, loud, obnoxious punk. 


1. Face to Face w/ Strung Out at the Masquerade on 5/26 - I might be most excited for this one, as Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues and Face to Face were consistently in my rotation, not to mention the Strung Out sticker on my car that I thought was so ironic under the NRA sticker...no one got it.  #Stillaloser


2. Unwritten Law at the Masquerade on 4/26 - This would move up to number 1, except their last couple of CDs were less than extraordinary and the last time I saw them the lead singer was too drunk to stand on stage...But I still love them!


3. The Deftones at the Tabernacle on 5/28 - I mean it's the Deftones, no explanation needed.


And I will throw an honorable mention to Dashboard Confessional, as they essentially popularized the emo movement several years back. I still remember seeing them at the Masquerade when they were just opening for Saves the Day, then years later when the Get Up Kids were opening for them at some big convention center. They will be playing once again at the Masquerade on April 3.


I am amazed and ecstatic that many of these bands are still touring, I mean they were pretty big (and not so young) back in my hey day, it makes me wonder what the shows will be like now...I guess I will just have to see for myself!


PS - If anyone is in the market for the aforementioned Discman and tape adapter set, I just found a sweet gold under Big Red's driver seat...It could be yours for the low low price of 'fo free.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment